21 March, 2008

There are foods that are already and clearly on my no fly list, since my sensitivity is dramatic and swift.

Aspartame: I want to say all artificial sweeteners, but that doesn't make sense--it's probably just that I dislike Splenda. I avoid them mostly anyway because of the slippery mouth feel and unpleasant aftertaste, but now I even avoid most chewing gum, since ten minutes of chewing can start the pain.

Nitrites: This is another one I discovered by myself. Suddenly pepperoni pizzas were no longer palatable. I studiously avoid all sausage with nitrites in them, and limit my bacon intake--it's good that I live in a large enough market that I can find breakfast meats light on the preservatives.

Mint: Not always, but sometimes. And when it does, it sends me over hard. Often it's mint and sweet, which is why I don't chew gum anymore, and why I've switched to weirdo toothpaste.

These are the biggies--the ones where I still have the taste in my mouth when the pain sets in. They are the easy ones, since I don't miss them. Feeling them trigger pain makes them no longer tasty. I have some misty technical sadness at the loss of pepperoni, but I can't look at a slice of the pizza with hunger anymore.

The next part of the investigation will be much more complicated.

3 comments:

Jonquil said...

I have found out over and over, when I thought "surely I'm okay now" that sour cream and buttermilk are NO GO. Ditto olives.

And again I drink more than I should (meaning 1.5 drinks at night) and I pay for it every time.

I have to remember when I'm in the "Fuck it, I've had a rotten time and I WANT THIS" that in two hours I won't be having fun any more.

LA MIGRAINEUSE said...

Interesting. Sour cream and buttermilk are still no goes when you cook with them? I've never noticed anything with either, and I do love them dearly. But the triggers I list above have about a ten minute delay of onset, so it's *really* obvious, which is why I think I may be missing the cues on the subtler stuff.

As for olives, I steer clear away anyway, and alcohol has not yet to date made me feel any worse (and sometimes I suspect it's made me feel better, but I don't want to explore that too far).

Jonquil said...

yeah, I have been known to use white wine as a treatment when running out of triptans.

Buttermilk pound cake and sour cream pound cake are both very bad news for me. About an hour or so later, so it's subtle.