10 August, 2009

The Science of Pain--a podcast from Scientic America, with a transcript at the link.

The beginning of the podcast talks about empathy with pain, and I cannot imagine how disturbing it must have been to participate in the study that he ran.

After that he talks about pain as a disease, and the nature of chronic pain. Apparently it might not just be the drugs that make us stupid, but neural changes in response to pain that just don't get undone. They're still researching if they are permanent.

4 comments:

Jonquil said...

I've pretty much assumed the allodynia is with me for life.

LA MIGRAINEUSE said...

Does it bother you when you're not having a headache? I have an eye mask that used to be so comfortable to get the painful light out of my eyes, but by that point I can't have it touching my face.

I sit straight up at the ER (and fall asleep that way, snoring away) so I don't have to lean my head against anything.

I think in those rare moments when I'm not having any symptoms that I don't have an allodynia, but I don't really want to test it.

Anonymous said...

I like what you guys are up too. This kind of
clever work and exposure! Keep up the excellent works guys I've included you guys to my own blogroll.

Feel free to visit my homepage - younger look

Anonymous said...

I am sure this paragraph has touched all the internet people, its really really pleasant piece of writing on building up new web site.


My blog :: best anti aging creams