29 August, 2007

Third's the charm

I waited at UCLA Westwood for hours, and it never felt like I was getting closer to the front of the line. Understandably they had higher priority patients. Much of the ER staff vanished up to the helipads to bring in trauma patients.

So we went to Century City Doctor's Hospital. I checked at it was Dr. Asshole on duty, so we picked up and headed for UCLA Santa Monica. New ER, twice the number of beds of the old ER.

Got through triage in a snap, and got attention fairly quickly. But they started me off with morphine, which didn't hit the headache that well. By the time all was said and done I had 8+mg of dilaudid, two doses of Benadryl, one of Toradol, and an anti-emetic whose name I didn't catch.

Broke the migraine too, nice and solidly. It's over 24 hours since I decided I had to go in, and I'm only having a slight headache right now.

I have to give their ER the thumbs up. Clean, and all the staff was very nice and attentive--a screaming baby was put next to me and they moved me as soon as they noticed.

The completist in me feels I should have tried St John's Hospital, but the rest of me is quite okay with not knowing everything about every hospital within a few miles of my home.

No comments: