18 February, 2008

"Ictal"

I learnt a new word today.

Medical Dictionary: ictal
(ĭk'təl)
adj.

Relating to or caused by a stroke or seizure.


Really, I was just looking to know what interictally means--it pops up a lot in the articles Google Alerts throw at me, and it seemed the simplest of the new words.

I don't read all of these articles, and I certainly don't read them all to understand, since they're at different levels of medical intricacy. But once upon a time I had a brain, and maybe I can pretend right now.

Why can I pretend? I think I may be in a moment of stasis. I don't want to shout it from any rooftops, since it's only been a few days. But since my ER visit on the 14th and the lowering of my morphine dose to 30mg/8 hrs, the world seems clearer and less painful. I've been able to stave off every migraine with Stadol, although its side effects aren't fun. Still, I can take it and go to bed, and all's well when I wake up.

I don't know if this is it. I'm on Namenda, Elavil, Depakote, Lyrica, and Sansert as well as the morphine and various nutritional supplements. It's like soup in there. I tremble, I tire easily, I'm light-headed and I'm way too close to sleep at every moment. But it's a lot better than a week ago.

No comments: