30 July, 2007

Back on the topic of "is it a thing, or is it a side effect?"

I lapsed off of my Mg and B2 in hospital mainly because they couldn't find me Mg, and took a while to find me B2. Took me a few days to get back into the rhythm of things, and in a few days I was back having orthostatic hypotension--though nowhere as badly as a week or two before the hospitalisation.

Wondering about those things is such a drag. I've had a hard time finding B2 especially in the dosages he recommended--I'm way past the RDA (1.2mg) at 400mg daily. From what I can tell I'll just pee out the excess, but I'm reading now that I should be ingesting as much B6 as B2, and that's patently not happening.

My Mg intake is not too far off the normal supplement amounts, so who knows. Probably just coincidence. So many drugs and supplements are using my body as a battleground that I can't tell collateral damage from a random coincidence.

2 comments:

Jonquil said...

I just gave up and started ordering via Amazon; it was too hard to find the right amounts of CO-Q10 from the approved manufacturers. A bit of Googling helped me find better prices.

You asked about Frova; the answer is that it's worked well for the pain, but it's yet another brain-eater. Furthermore, what was effective in May is rapidly diminishing in July; in the last week I've been having to supplement with Fiorinal and even Vicodin. You know how it is.

LA MIGRAINEUSE said...

I don't even have a list of approved manufacturers. I just ended up buying the B2 that came closest to 500mg/pill. It feels like I'm eating my meal just taking the supplements every morning.

None of the triptans (I think) mess with my head. But it's highly possible that I'm so far gone that I don't know the difference.

I wish Frova helped--I think it's been of no effect so far, and I'm only allowed four a week anyway, of nine, so I don't use it all that much.

And boy, do I know how it is. I'm so grateful I have rescue meds now--should keep me out of the hospital for a much longer stretch--but I don't like taking them.

I'm an addiction risk, but I consider what I'd be getting addicted to a lack of pain, not some sort of high.

And the whole building a tolerance thing is scary--I may end up asking if I can alternate the Percocet with a muscle relaxant, every other month, or something.

Do you still take other triptans? Can you mix it up a bit more when the Frova stops being so efficaceous?